Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Charlie is My Darlin'


Chorus:
Charlie is my darlin, my darlin, my darlin,
Charlie is my darlin, the young Chevalier.


Twas on a Monday mornin
Right early in the year
When Charlie came to our town
The Young Chevalier.

Chorus:

As he cam' marchin' up the street
The pipes played loud and clear
And a' the folk cam' rinnin' out
To meet the Chevalier.

Chorus:

Wi' highland bonnets on their heads
And claymores bright and clear
They cam' to fight for Scotland's right
And for the Chevalier.

Chorus:

They've left their bonnie highland hills
Their wives and bairnies dear
To draw the sword for Scotland's lord
The young Chevalier.

Chorus:

Oh, there were mony beating hearts
And mony a hope and fear
And mony were the pray'rs put up
For the young Chevalier.

Chorus:


Lyrics by James Hogg and Carolina, Lady Nairne.

No comments: