Monday, July 04, 2005

Loch Lomond

Notes: This song is often played jauntily and used as a representatively Scottish tune, particularly in films and computer games.
It deserves better. The song is a lament for a lost love killed in battle. He will now take the "high road" (in heaven) while Moira (his love) stays on the "low road."
They will never meet again in this life but they will some day meet again far above the bonnie banks of Loch lomond.




O wither away my bonnie May (which direction)
Sae late an' sae far in the gloamin' (so far in the dusk)
The mist gather grey o'er moorland and brae (hill)
O wither sae far are ye roamin'?

Chorus:
O ye'll tak the high road an' I'll tak the low
I'll be in Scotland afore ye
For me and my true love will never meet again
By the bonnie bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond.


I trusted my ain love last night in the broom (own) (bush)
My Donald wha' loves me sae dearly
For the morrow he will march for Edinburgh toon (town)
Tae fecht for his King and Prince Charlie (to fight)


O weel may I weep for yestreen in my sleep (well) (yesterday)
We stood bride and bridegroom together
But his arms and his breath were as cold as the death
And his heart's blood ran red in the heather


(chorus)


As dauntless in battle as tender in love
He'd yield ne'er a foot tae the foeman (enemy)
But never again frae the field o' the slain (from)
Tae his Moira will he come by Loch Lomond


The thistle may bloom, the King hae his ain (have his own)
And fond lovers may meet in the gloamin'
And me and my true love will yet meet again
Far above the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond


(chorus)

No comments: